3.22.2007

Video Didn't Kill This Radio Star

When I moved back to the cities after college I developed this fantasy of working in the radio business. I used to walk to past the various local stations that [used to] broadcast from Butler Square downtown Minneapolis and wish I could be on of those cool cool people up in the studios overlooking the courtyard. This fantasy came out of the blue for me, I don't know exactly why. My college had a fun on-campus radio station of which many of my friends had their own shows and from which I had my live on-air debut after a rowdy night on campus at various parties/dancing at Bro. Willie's Pub when I decided I really needed to dedicate a song for a friend who's boyfriend was in town that night. I played Why Don't We Get Drunk (And Screw) by Jimmy Buffet. She wasn't amused since apparently she was still a virgin. Whatever.

I probably didn't develop this radio-bug during school because I didn't spend any time thinking about my future while I was in college. It was all about scraping by and having a fucking good time with my friends. What I don't really understand is why I never pursued this interest once I had graduated and had entered the workforce. It was obvious to me that I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do with my life and the initial jobs right out of college certainly weren't inspirational, that's for sure. Why didn't I go for it? I've always wondered. Eventually the fantasy faded and I was locked down in the Corporate World.

Since leaving the CW a couple of months ago, I've had a lot of time to think about what I really want to do with my life. I still want to go to school. My long term goal is always going to be to have a Master's degree in Psychology and I know that someday that will happen. But after this morning, I've begun to question if now is the right time.

Thanks to the fellas of The Powertrip morning show at KFAN (AM 1130 in the cities) the radio-bug is back, in full effect. I wasn't expecting it, at all. It all happened so fast. Yesterday I'm chatting via email with Hawkey and the next thing I know, it's 7am and I'm on the freaking air. My stomach was doing flips, but they were the excited kind. I got a complete rush from talking into that microphone and hearing my voice through the headphones. I was definitely a bit timid but WTF, the last time I was "on-air" I don't remember very well as it was like 10 years ago and I was hammered. Today was intimidating but in the way that excites you, in the way that challenges you to keep going. And the feeling still remains 9 hours later.

I have a meeting with a local broadcasting school on Monday.