1.22.2007

The Big Event

The St. Pauly Family had quite an eventful weekend. Friday night we went out with friends to celebrate South St. Pauly Girl's 30th birthday. SSPG and all her pregnant glory had a total blast, as did the drinkers in the crew. All around fabulous time. Saturday was a low-key day with afternoon naps, pizza, and movies. The sad news is that we found out that my uncle Harold passed away on Friday night. He had been very very ill, for a long time. It was expected, but no matter how expected death is, it still shakes you to the very core. He's in a much better place, finally out of pain, and knowing him, he's cracking sarcastic jokes about how all of us are behaving. I will miss him, big time.

You might think that was the Big Event of the weekend, but it wasn't. It's going to sound incredibly weird and most likely quite insensitive considering the recent death in the family, but trust me, the Big Event was a welcome distraction at the family gathering yesterday.

My dad shaved his moustache.

The last time I saw my dad without his moustache was when I was 2 years old. It's not like I remember it, but I've seen the pictures. In essence, this is the first time I've seen him sans facial hair in 30 years. That's a lot of years, yo. He doesn't look bad at all, just different. I'm not used to seeing his upper lip. Or the Cindy-Crawford style mole on his upper lip. Not only have we not seen him without the stache in 30 years, but he also didn't tell anyone that he shaved. He just shows up places and none of us are prepared. I freaked out when I saw him, turned to my brother and yelled "HOW DID YOU NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS???". It was a humorous scene and my aunt and cousins were actually glad there was something else to talk about. We laughed and joked about it all day. It's a very good way to grieve.

Now we just need to have dad grow back the stache. I need it back. He can shave it again at my 60th birthday party.