4.27.2006

What? Your Name Is Erin? I Think I'll Call You Harold.

Nicknames are hilarious. I come from a family that has mastered the art of nicknaming people. When I was little, my nickname was Peanut. Everyone in my family called me Peanut. My younger brother was nicknamed Bubba. Everyone in our family called him Bubba. These nicknames have slowly progressed throughout the years....

Peanut...Peanut-Head...P-Head
Bubba...Bubs...Bubbies...Wubbies...Wub-Head

Because of this, my brother and I inherited the nack for nicknaming. Since neither one of us have children yet, we use our pets in the meantime. Here is the evolution of our pets and their nicknames:

Stinky Pete...Pete...Peter...Petey...PP...PP-Pants...Stinky...Stinkster
Pumpkin...Punky...Punk Punk...Bump...Bumpy...Bump Rooter...Rump Roast...Chump Chicken

There is no way that either my brother or I could possibly call someone by their given name. The name Jill becomes Jillie Bean Pie Face Head. WTF is all of that? How does this make any sense? It doesn't. The words just sound funny together. And there you have it.

I feel sorry for our future children. They will not escape the wrath of the nickname monster that runs through my veins.