1.18.2006

You Had Me At Hehrow

After a rather overwhelming & frustrating (and EARLY) meeting this morning, I need a moment to decompress and evaluate how to handle my stress. Right away I realized that I needed to tell a Stinky Pete story. We got Pete from a family friend who breed Springers. When his litter was born, we went to visit the 2 week old pups. Good LAWRD are 2 week old Springers cute. They barely had their eyes open and spent most of their time laying in a big pile in the corner of their kennel area, running into the walls when they did try to walk around, and peeing and pooping all over the floor. The stench was insane, but the second you see how cute they are, it immediately starts smelling like roses. We were advised to come back in 2 more weeks, once their eyes were open and their motor skills were more advanced, before we actually chose which dog we wanted. So that's what we did. A lot of dog owners will say they had a "moment" with their pup, when they just knew it was meant to be. This was certainly true for us. I spent some time going from pup to pup, picking them up, letting them lick my face (yes, I'm fully aware that dogs lick themselves), and so on. I got to this little guy named Nemo. He had the most perfect coloring, almost symetrical. I picked him up and knew immediately that he was our little Stinky.....he peed on me. Here's where I tell you that being peed on by the cutest puppy on the planet is very endearing. I've never been so happy to have been soiled. So, we staked our claim (with the hefty payment) and Nemo (future Stinky Pete) was set to come home with us, 3 weeks later. Here's a picture of me and Nemo/Pete, taken that very night that he chose me.


Fast forward a little over a year later. St Pauly Boy and I have just come back from our honeymoon in Ireland, after having been away from the Stinkster for two whole weeks. I was missing him pretty bad at this point. We show up to my parents house, who had taken the 2nd shift of dog-sitting, and right away I can see him in the window of the front door. He began running up and down the stairs, shaking almost violently. His tail is cropped so when he wags his stump, it literally shakes his entire ass. Well this particular day, he was so excited, I thought he might burst into flame. Either that, or suffer brain damage from the impact of the shaking in his ass. I tried to kneel down to give him kisses, but he was seizing so badly that my dad had to pick him up so that he could get him to stay still for 2 seconds so that I could give him a proper greeting. So my dad picks him up and I take his little head, hold it still in my hands, and nuzzled his face against mine (the typical puppy-speak was involved, "who's my good boooooy" and "yes you are, you're a pretty little doggers, yes you arrrrrrre"). At this moment, I felt his entire body relax a little and this drunk look came over his face. The same type of look that babies get out of the satisfaction of taking a nice long wiz in their diaper when their sitting in their high chair. Only Pete doesn't wear a diaper. Instead, he wizzed all over my dad. Drenched with puppy-pee. Victim numero dos.

He has yet to defile anyone else, but we're certainly not counting it out. And when it does happen, it'll be just as memorable as the first two times. Almost worth it, if you ask me.