4.24.2007

Similar, Even In Death

Our next door neighbor passed away last Thursday. St. Pauly Boy and I were sitting on the patio just after noon when her son came to the fence to tell us the news. She had just died an hour prior, right there in the house. She had been battling cancer for a couple of years now but I hadn't heard any reports since the Fall so I assumed she was recovering. She had been doing so well the last time I talked to her. Once the doctor told her she was terminal, she slipped very rapidly. The good news is, she went very peacefully in her own bedroom surrounded by all 5 of her grown children and their families.

Sound familiar?

Every time I talked to Mary Ann I found more similarities between she and my grandma. They were both widows who raised their large families in St. Paul, all on their own. They were both devout Catholics. They both worked downtown, my grandma at the Police department and Mary Ann at the Public Defenders office. Then they were both going through chemo at the same time. I just never expected their deaths to be exact replicas of each other. And back to back, nonetheless.

Her funeral was yesterday. I offered to sit at the house during the service, the family was uneasy about leaving the house unattended during a publicly announced ceremony. I cannot imagine what someone could possibly steal from this house that was of any worth, but I house sat anyway. As I sat on the couch watching daytime talk shows on the 13 inch television in the living room I noticed that I was surrounded by more Jesus and Virgin Mary paraphernalia than I'd ever seen, even at the convent at St. Ben's. It was overwhelming. Yeah my grandma had a picture of the Virgin in her house too, but not a 18 x 24 framed picture of Pope John Paul hanging in her dining room. I admit, I was a little afraid, but then I remembered who's house I was in. Mary Ann was literally the nicest person I've ever met. She was so fun to talk to. So cheerful, so obviously caring even if she'd only known you for 10 minutes. And she was a total blast to hang out with. We used to sit on her patio, drink beers and chain smoke. God she was fun.

It was oddly comforting being in the same room in which she died. It was like being there for Grandma. Mary Ann and Grandma would have been the best pals. I can't believe I'm going to go the whole summer without talking to Mary Ann over the back yard fence. Just like I can't believe my grandma won't be starting any political debates at our next family gathering.

God I'm gonna miss those girls.