3.12.2007

Pay For What You Get

Healthy self-esteem is super cool and everything but you really can't have good self-esteem unless you are 100% in touch with your faults. It's not easy but it's certainly liberating. Everyone gets to have faults, that's what so awesome about it. It's much better if you're aware of your own because that way when people judge you, you can just say "Yeah, totally, that's on my list of Personality Flaws". And you don't have to apologize for things on this list provided you're not running around your life throwing them at people like monkey poo. So unless there's an item on your list that truly makes your life miserable or has endangered the people that you love, then you just have to embrace it. Let yourself feel insecure about stuff. Let yourself get pissed every once and a while. Let yourself cry when you have a bad hair day (just don't let it happen a lot cuz that's just sad). As long as your accountable for your actions then you're fine.

Just to prove my point, here's portion of my Personality Flaws list:

1. I yell when I'm mad. SPB and Stinky Pete get the brunt of it and sometimes my mom or my brother. But never my dad for some reason.
2. I get angry about things I shouldn't get angry about.
3. I shoot my mouth off.
4. I'm fond of Flaw #3.
5. I bite my nails.
6. I'm insecure about what people think about me.
7. I'm really mean. Most of the time I keep it in my head though. I gotta let it out from time to time or I'd explode. This is where I've perfected the art of apologizing, but only when I'm wrong.
8. I'm really good at lying AND telling the truth and sometimes may choose one or the other at inappropriate times.
9. I don't answer my phone 99.99% of the time, on purpose. (But I'll check my voice mail right away so if it's an emergency, I'll call you right back, I swear.)
10. I allow myself to hate things and sometimes people, although it really takes a lot for me to hate a person so if you're actually on that list, I'd be very afraid.

There's plenty more where that came from but I'd like to keep them just for me.

If one or the combination of all the above items from my Personality Flaws list make me a bad person, then I'd venture to say that the majority of people on this planet are bad people. But being the optimist that I am, I believe the opposite. Having these flaws makes me real. I'd really rather be real than move through this life lying to people about who I am.