12.20.2006

Bloody Hell, I'm Back in the U.S.

How bad do I want an English accent? Bad. How possible will it be for me to develop one? Not. And believe me, I tried. We met this German guy who had been living in London for a few years already, who's accent sounded much more American than German or English. As it turns out, he had spent two years in NYC and is quite convinced that an American accent is much easier to pick up than an English one. I guess I'm just stuck with this lousy accent/non-accent.

Our trip was so much fun, outside of the fact that I woke up with a nasty head cold on Sunday morning, our only full day in London, so we got a late start because I couldn't seem to get out of bed and the fire alarm that sounded around 1:20am Monday (the day we have to get up and fly home) that forced the hotel to completely evacuate for a 1/2 hour. Other than that, I'm officially infatuated with the city!

Scenes from the St. Pauly Family (minus Stinky Pete, of course):

Location: Outside Buckingham Palace

St. Pauly Boy: Do you think the Queen is sitting on her throne, right now?
St. Pauly Girl: I'd say that's a no, but she very well could be sitting on her Porcelain Throne right now.
St. Pauly Boy: Yes, she could be. But do you think she has someone to do the dirty work?
St. Pauly Girl: Oh, I'm sure. I believe they call him the Royal Ass-Wiper.

Location: Big Ben

SPB: Big Ben looks bigger from far away.

Location: Westminster Abbey

Random Middle-Aged Midwestern American Woman: Um, excuse me, do you guys know which one is the West Minister Abbey?
SPG: (standing directly in front of Westminster Abbey) NO. (walks away)

Location: Somewhere

SPG: GOD, tourists are annoying.

Short time later...

SPG: OMG, totally take my picture in a phone booth.

Location: Some Pub

SPB: What the fuck are all these coins?? Why do they need so many coins? God I hate all these coins!!
SPG: Shut up and get us a couple pints.

Location: Tower Hill Underground Station - Exit

SPB: Is that the Tower of London in front of us?
SPG: (rolling eyes) No!

Moment later....

SPG: Where the hell is the Tower of London then???
SPB: Honey, that's it right in front of us.
SPG: (thoughtful) Oh. Ok. Let's smoke.

And that in a nutshell was our London Experience.