4.28.2006

TGI NFL Draft Weekend

I have lost all motivation to work today. I was doing pretty well all week and today, I'm just a slug. I think even my dog has a better attention span than me today, and that, my friends, is no easy feat for a Springer. Speaking of the Stinkster, that mofo ate my sunglasses yesterday. For the 2nd time. It was cute listening to St Pauly Boy giving him a lecture about it too:

"Now Pete, you're really not making a good case for us to allow you to be alone in the house. Kennel. Good boy."

I'm looking forward to getting a manicure at 5pm and then meeting my beloved and our friends down at the neighborhood watering hole. It's rainy and cold and very dreary, making a good atmosphere for having some pints. In bulk.

And the best part of all is that tomorrow is Day 1 of the NFL Draft. In the last few years, I have become a draft junkie. Rainy Saturday, minor (ok, possibly major) hangover, snacks, couch, TIVO remote, 43" Plasma, and the drama of the draft. God, that's like poetry to me. Who's going to be the first pick? What team needs a running back the most? Is there going to be a good linebacker left when the Vikes number comes up? How many embarrassment will Vikings fans endure this year in the draft? (Good chance we come out clean in this one, given the great Mike Tice got his walking papers last season....stopwatch, anyone?) Who's going to get Matt Leinart? He's so hot. And to watch it all go down live, in front of your eyes...I can't imagine a better marathon to commit to (except for maybe Season 1 of Road Rules, I'm a sucker for the old school MTV "reality" shows).

Our hopes is that draft day ends on a good note for our team. We like our picks, we feel confident about our free agent signings (and this year, we should), the majority of the bad blood has been righfully fired or traded by this point (capped off this morning by the release of Onterrio Smith, who is the self-titled S.O.D. (Steal of the Draft) and now more commonly known as The Whizzanator. Bye bye, S.O.D. We will miss your endless suspensions and the cloud of green smoke that follows you everywhere.

I owe my draft devotion to my brother, Bubs, without whom I would have virtually no interest in sports, but has successfully molded me into a true freak. I'll TIVO day 1 for you, brother, while you're at the tasting with your wedding caterer!