2.17.2006

Funny Little Argument

St Pauly Boy came into the bedroom this morning, where I was getting ready for work. It's -7 degrees this morning, and getting colder. My wonderful husband offers to start the truck for me. Having someone warm up your vehicle is heaven. It might be my favorite thing about being married. (Is she really that shallow, you ask? Sometimes. But at least I'm honest.) Back to my morning...SPB asks me when I expect to be ready to leave for work. I tell him 10 minutes. To me, 10 minutes seems like the reasonable amount of time to warm up one's vehicle when it's negative seven degrees outside. What do I know. SPB tells me to let him know when I'm about 5 minutes out.

Um. Why can't you just go start it now? What's the 5 minute difference going to make? Not trying to sound demanding here*, just curious why the 5 minutes?

The response I get to my questioning is this...we don't want the truck to overheat.

Let me just run that by you one more time. We don't want the truck to over.heat.

Again. Um.

It's pretty cold, I'm pretty sure the overheating won't be an issue, honey.

When I asked him later, if he was actually worried about the possibility of our truck overheating, he said no. He just didn't want to go outside at that very minute. He wanted to wait 2-3 more minutes.

Two to three more minutes.

My husbands quirks are so cute. Odd. But cute.


* In reality, I was sounding pretty demanding. Probably on purpose. I'm thinking to myself, you can't just come in here, offer to start my truck on the coldest day of the year, and then tell me I need to wait 5 more minutes. You said you wanted to start my truck for me so go start my truck for me DAMMIT! And this is the way SPB gets treated when he offers to do nice things for me. Honey, if you make it 50 years with me, you ought to get some sort of humanitarian award.