1.24.2006

Is it Spring yet?

On my way to work this morning, I had this moment where I was unexpectedly taken aback by beauty. I'm not normally very alert to my surroundings on the way to work (with the exception of paying attention to my driving, obeying traffic laws and not getting into any accidents). I drive the same route every day which may be why I don't pay too much attention to the outside scene, since I've seen it every day for the past 5 years. But today was strangely different. The roads were wet, like it had just rained. Rain is something I miss, given we are in the depth of winter here in MN (although mild winter that it's been, it's still winter). I know it probably smells good but I don't risk opening the window. I'm not one of those people who thinks a brisk wind is exilirating. I also notice the clouds, the peaks of blue breaking through the gloomy grayness, indicating that the storm is over. The sunlight is starting to come through the cracks in the grayness, and is shining over the skyline causing the buildings to look almost plastic. Shiny plastic. It's bizarre. Why haven't I noticed this before?

I'm pretty sure that today is the official first day of Spring Fever.